Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wo shi hu shi (pronounced Wo shur who shur) means "I am a nurse"

Happy Nurses Day from Taiwan!

Today was my last day of Community... I am really sad to go :( I will miss my nurse Ray Gene...we had so much fun. I can't believe it's already been 2 weeks!
Nothing all that exciting happened today except that I was able to change a foley catheter on a male patient for the first time... I know... it's really weird when that is one of the most exciting moments of my day :P.
Sophia came with Ray Gene and I in the morning and we saw 3 patients. The patients were once again so generous to us. They always tell us (the Americans) to have a seat but my nurse often tells them that we are there to help and watch her.
Our patients gave us so much... cookie egg rolls, mocha filled egg rolls, two whole pineapples, and a bracelet for each of us.
After clinical we came back to our dorms and did homework and ate dinner. That's about it for my day.
Our last time together :( We were told that the plaques on the wall behind us were all of the organ donors for the Chi Mei hospital
more community nurses with me, rainy, sophia, and sarah on the bottom
My nurse told me that these red/orange flowers are the Taiwanese flower
So beautiful!
Getting ready to take to my next nursing trip to Hawaii
I gave our next patient the Taiwanese flower... she loved it
Another patient and his family... they owned a temple so Sophia and I asked to go and the wife taught us how to pray to the gods. I didn't understand very well though. We just saw her put her hands together and bow over and over again, so that's what we did :) This woman told us she has 9 kids! It didn't really phase me because I know so many people who have that many kids, but then I remembered that we were in Taiwan and I realized what a big deal that was! 
Apartment buildings that a patient lived in
It is so sad to see so many patient who are like this... This wasn't the case for this man, but many families don't feed or take very good care of their family member because they are just waiting for them to die
Rainy and I out in the community
a piece of cake that we got for Nurses Day. Not as good as American chocolate, but still very delicious (especially the chocolate shaving on top) :P
Party!...as usual there is a whole array of food and of course the nurses want us to try everything. I really enjoyed the roasted duck (or as Ray Gene called it "fire duck")
Happy Nurses Day!

I am not sure when I will be able to blog next. We are traveling down to Kenting (the southern most tip) and are going Scuba Diving this weekend!! I am so excited! I can't wait to be able to actually scuba dive in actual ocean water. The crater in Utah just wasn't cutting it :) 
I am not sure if I will have internet in Kenting but I hope so because I want to show everyone the beauty of Kenting, Taiwan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment